Gobble, Gobble

We bought ground turkey breast last night and I was eager to get to work with it in the kitchen for tonight's dinner.  Usually I buy ground turkey breast at Whole Foods and keep 1 lb. packages of it in the freezer, but we haven't been down there in a LONG TIME, so I bought the standard package at the regular grocery store.  After googling turkey burgers, I modified a recipe I found and came up with a delicious result. The burgers were juicy and flavorful.  Chris and I actually high-fived at the dinner table! I wish I had more pics to share, but I didn't think of taking them...I didn't know this would be so good. Enjoy!

Friday Night Turkey Burgers

1 pkg. (1.25 lb.) ground turkey breast (not just ground turkey...the breast is much leaner)
1 egg
1/4 c. whole wheat bread crumbs (I used Ian's Panko)
1/4 c. grated carrot
1/4 c. red bell pepper, finely chopped (any bell pepper would work)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 c. onion, finely chopped
1/8 teas. ground pepper
1/2 teas. kosher salt

Grate carrots and chop peppers, garlic, and onion without cutting off part of the nail on your index finger like I did.  Oh, and have you tried the band-aid waterproof fingertip band aids?  I had to go to the store after dinner...I think I'll be needing to protect my digit for a while.  It only took me two tries to figure out how to wrap it up. Good thing I'm so smart.


Mix all ingredients in a bowl and hope you have somone else to touch the meat as you nurse your injury.  Luckly, Chris took over from here. Divide mixture into 4 patties.  Brush grill pan with olive oil and heat pan over medium heat. Place patties on pan and cook until done (fancy, I know...we didn't time the cooking).


Top with your favorite cheese and allow to melt.  Serve on thin buns (we like using the new "sandwich rounds" that you can find at any store)  This week, we had Nature's Own on hand.  We also like the Oroweat ones.  If you haven't tried them, they're in the bread aisle.  They are great for sandwiches, homemade garlic bread, and burgers. You'll save a ton of fat a calories and, if you buy the multigrain or wheat ones, you'll get a lot of fiber.  Love it! Spread buns with mayo or miracle whip or condiments of your choice.  Serve with a salad.  We paired our burgers with one of our favorite salads have two burgers left to enjoy another day...



Cranberry Salad for Two

2 big handfuls of mixed greens
1/4 c. crumbled goat cheese
1 pear, chopped into cubes OR  handful of grapes, halved
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/8 c. chopped walnuts
1/4 c. Newman's Lighten Up Raspberry and Walnut Dressing (this stuff is AMAZING, RIP Paul!)

Toss all ingredients in a large bowl.  Divide into two servings in salad bowls or on plates with your main dish.


And, on an unrelated note, I thought I would leave you with a little something extra because I'm so generous.  Behold, the view from our living room/kitchen/dining room the other day.  Yes, life is glamorous when you live in a downtown loft in Oklahoma. What a sweet ride.


Do you have any ground turkey breast recipes to share? I also use it for our favorite chili, but I'd love to hear what you have done with it.




 

1 comments:

Amy said...

Ummmm.....be careful of your digits! You gotta keep 'em! :) Your turkey burgers look great--and they remind me of the rapidly approaching summer! Oh yea! :) I also love the car in the back--I CANNOT WAIT TO BE BACK IN OK!!! Eight days and counting!