You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta

Lauren is the one that cooks 99% of the time, where I do the clean up. However, tonight the wind of change blew in and I made dinner!! The below recipe was the very first meal I made for Lauren when I lived in Valparaiso, IN and she was working at Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore. She lived with her dad but stayed with me most of the time.

I was not single for long after this!!!!

I started dinner before she got home from work but when she arrived we had to take some pictures. This is a shout out to Vicki (my second mom) for getting my own personal apron!








This is a very simple pasta dish to make.







Me in action!!



After the heavy cream was added!! Don't you want to drink it?







And here it is!!







The Details!

You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta
(Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced (I did not have shallots, I used 1/4 cup chopped onion)
1 cup vodka
1 cup of chicken stock
1 can crushed tomatoes (32 oz)
Coarse salt and pepper
16 oz pasta (I used 13 oz), such as penne rigate (I recommend whole wheat pasta)
1/2 cup heavy cream
20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn

Directions

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer.

Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it).

Stir in cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, romove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Your pasta is one more reason why Lauren is so lucky to be married to you! :) Loved your entry Chris! And yes, I would love to drink that sauce--we will be making that this winter break! I love creamy tomato sauces! Thanks for sharing! And two thumbs up for starting dinner before Lauren made it home! Dreamy! (Mark says, "Good move---you're setting the bar high!") You guys are so cute! :)

Amy said...

sooooo....we made your delicious recipe for dinner tonight! Loved it! I am curious though....ours was more watery than what yours looks like in the photo....any hints on how to thicken the sauce---or trade secrets??? We LOVED it! The fresh basil was phenomenal, as were the fresh shallots and garlic! :) Thanks for sharing! Keep those recipes comin'!

Lauren said...

Did you let the vodka reduce? I think it takes longer than the recipe states...hmmmm....